Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Oh Yeah, I Have a Blog :X


Apologies to anyone who reads this... Yes, it has been 1 month since my last post (almost 1 month).

I promise I will try to update more often... Try is the key word there ;P

Anyways, last time I was about to head to Hobart for the rest of one of my longer trips while I am here.

-Hobart: I spent the first couple of days in Hobart, which is really quite charming and fun to explore. Fortunately I happened to get there during their wooden boat festival, so there were interesting things to see and booths and food and whatnot.

-Mount Wellington: I took a day trip to the top of Mount Wellington and saw a beautiful view of the city below and all around the shoreline and waterways. It was a bit chilly up there, but well worth the trip.

-Port Arthur: I booked a ride to Port Arthur and we stopped in Richmond, which was really cool... Everyone said it reminded them of a small, New Zealand town, so I will put that to the test when I go late April. There were a ton of small, historic buildings and whatnot, and a really delicious bakery... mmmm, Curried Scallop Pie :) (one quick note: Aussies say "Sk-ah-lop"... while in the US (or at least Utah) we say "Sk-al-lop").

We then headed through wine country and other farms and bays and finally made it to Port Arthur, which is home to a historic site that used to be a prison. Touring the grounds was very interested, and it was also striking to see the remnants of a building where the Port Arthur Massacre took place. In 1996, a gunman killed 35 and injured 37 in the site... Quite tragic. The memorial that now stands on the grounds is a very nice tribute to those who died and those who helped others that day.

I spent the night in Port Arthur and explored away from the site the next day. It was very pretty just walking around, and I came across Safety Cove Beach, which reminded my of a beach you would find in Mexico, but with the hillsides and farms of Switzerland. I explored the tide pools and saw some crab, sea stars, and anemones. I later caught the bus back to Port Arthur and planned my final TAS trip to Wineglass Bay.

-Wineglass Bay: If you ever go to Australia, this, so far, would be one of the places I would highly recommend. I think people have a skewed idea of what Tasmania is like, and as a result, tend to avoid it (even Aussies). I spent a day with some fun people hiking around Freycinet Park and it was amazing. Every beach was perfect and had that beautiful, teal water and white sand. There were few people here and there... Normal beaches this nice are packed with tourists and sun bathers. We hiked to a lookout where you can see Wineglass Bay and learned a bit about it before heading down. It is called Wineglass Bay for 2 reasons: The shape resembles the top of a wine glass, and the bay used to serve as a cleaning station for whalers... meaning the water would turn red with whale blood. After that not-at-all-gruesome story we walked down to the beach, which, once again, was perfect. I realize that I have called many of the beaches in TAS perfect... but the reality is, they pretty much are. The temperature might be a bit colder than ideal, but the beaches themselves are amazing and abundant. Before we headed back, we saw a wallaby and got some photos.

-That was at the end of my trip, and I headed back to Sydney a day later, and to my new apartment... This post is already long enough, so my next one will bring you up-to-date on things here in Sydney

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment