Friday, February 11, 2011

Trip!

Sorry for the long overdue update… I’ve been too busy having fun and not being on my computer, so hopefully you understand.

I am now on the second leg of my Melbourne/Hobart trip, and have 5 more days before I go back to Sydney.

Melbourne has been a great experience. It heavily reminds me of San Francisco in the sense that everyone has a little more laid-back of an attitude and the area is so walkable and has great public transportation. I went to a ton of stuff, so here are a few things:

-Melbourne Museum: I went here on a whim and it was a fun place to go. It had exhibits on Melbourne history, Aboriginal history regarding the conflicts with Europeans, and two really cool exhibits on the Melbourne environment (animals, evolution, minerals, etc) and the mind (a very quirky exhibit, but probably my favorite part).

-Federation Square: A big area near the center of Melbourne (on the southern end though) that has a lot of beautiful buildings and places to explore. I went to the ACMI (Australian Center for the Moving Image) and saw a very cool exhibit on media and how it has changed through the ages, as well as another exhibit on Disney animation.

-One of the best parts of Melbourne was just walking around and looking at all the little micro-environments they have. Cool areas like Chinatown, Chapel (and Commercial) Street, Brunswick Street, and the Docklands all had their own feel and niche of people.

On the Sydney end, I did find an apartment, which is in a great place for public transportation and walking. Now I have to find a job for the next couple of months (maybe 2.5 months). I’ll still do trips, but smaller ones. I plan on going to the Blue Mountains (perhaps a couple of days rather than a day trip), Uluru (Ayer’s Rock), and possibly Perth and/or Adelaide.

OK, I am off to Hobart and the rest of Tasmania. I’ll post something about that half in a bit

1 comment: