Sunday, April 17, 2011

South Island!


So it's been a few days since my last update, which, with my busy travel schedule, means that I have been a few places.

Did my lord of the rings tour in Wellington, which was fun... I let my nerd-flag fly and saw parts of Helms Deep, Minas Tirith, Rivendell, Isengard, and the Shire... even better, I was the only one booked that morning, so I got a personal tour :)

Later I took the ferry, which was a bit delayed, causing me to reschedule things a bit for that night. I got into Picton later that evening and checked into the YHA there and made some dinner.

Woke up next morning and went for a run before it started raining too bad. The area was really cool with the rain clouds and foggy patches around the mountains. Later caught the coach to Nelson, where I walked around for a bit and enjoyed the fall colors starting to form... ooops I mean AUTUMN... say "fall" to Australians or Kiwis and they whine about it ;P

Caught a very early bus this morning and wound along some great views of canyons and rivers. Stopped in Punakaiki and saw the pancake rocks (refer to my facebook album for photos), and finally made it to Franz Josef (about a 10 hour drive total).

Now I am warm by the fire, and will hike around the glacier and rain forest tomorrow

After that, another long bus ride to Queensland in 2 days

:)

on a side note, Christchurch had another quake last night, but things appear to be fine for when I get there

No comments:

Post a Comment